Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Monday, 28 August 2017

And now, a sidestep...

You may imagine that I spend my sunny days lazing in front of a pool, with a glass of something alcoholic in one hand, sunglasses perched on my nose and a book in my other hand.
Not a bit of it.
In the months since I last wrote, which was all of four and a bit months ago, I have taken a huge step - one I vowed I'd never take - and am on the verge of launching my own business.
I'll have to explain a little,

I've been doing a lot of teaching during the past year and it is tiring work. In particular, teaching youngsters seems to drain more energy than I can draw from it and I was beginning to feel that I couldn't continue, despite the good days - and the car repayments!
What did give me heaps of energy though, were my Friday evening drawing classes.

So I set to thinking. I knew that the person who initially invited me to give the workshops - a teacher of yoga, called Angeli - was also keen to work more on yoga teaching than the enormous amount of administrative work she seemed to have acquired over the years supporting a number of women's associations. And so I met her in the park one day towards the end of May to sound her out. And she was very interested in the idea of us working together from shared business premises, or as they call it here, a 'local'.

Between then and now, we have undertaken a course run by the government of Andalucia on how to set up in business; we have hunted down and located the perfect 'local' here in Alcala la Real; we have decided on a name and an identity for our local and within the next few weeks will be having an Open Doors day to explain our ideas and to get the good townsfolk to enrol in our various classes.

The original drawing for the studio's logo. The actual is a cut down, simplified version.
I like this because it's a Dingbatz Zendala Mandala....covers so much!
We have also been invited to take part in a forum for new businesses; we have our own website and logo and people have been stopping me in the street to ask when they can start! Goodness me, I really do think this is happening and it's not just a dream!

What, you may be asking, am I going to actually do? Well, our local is big and light and airy. It's divided into three parts - as yet, there's some finishing off to do, but I will post some photos soon - with a reception area at the front, then Angeli's yoga space and finally, my art and drawing space. I'm going all out to hold classes focusing on painting, drawing, experimenting, learning and generally being crafty and creative.  I'm offering morning classes, aimed primarily but not solely, at the many housewives and older women who have free time in the morning and like to do new things. Then in the afternoon, I'm offering ZenKids classes - and yes, Zentangle will form a part of everything I do! However, we'll do a range of things, including joint projects, stamping, lots of colour, and, of course some Zentangle patterns in amongst. It's their chance to be utterly free and without the boundaries put on them at school - I do hope they'll enjoy it!

I will continue some days with evening classes - again, using Zentangle patterns as a basis for much of them - but also more painting and some calligraphy. Anything really. It's a learning curve for me too. I'm not the greatest of artists but I have a knack for showing and encouraging others and I have learnt that confidence and bit of technique goes a long way towards having fun and being creative.

Angeli is also super-creative and our only problem is keeping some of our more exciting ideas and plans in check...for later. She's really good at Zentangle drawing and I'm hoping to do some of her yoga classes whenever I can....can't do any harm and maybe help me to stretch out some of my rather stiff old bones. I have just once or twice stopped to think I am maybe too old to be starting a new project, but I seem to dismiss the idea very quickly and if you're as old as you feel, well right now, I'm about 36 and at my peak!!

The website is not quite finished and contains a few tricky problems that I am still working on but I hope you'll pop over, have a look, follow us and wish us luck. If you're anywhere near, keep your eyes peeled for information in the next few weeks or watch for the date of the Open Doors on the website or Facebook.


SOOOO excited.
AH...the name?? Well, we are Meraki Studio Alcala. Meraki is a Greek word meaning to do something with love and soul. To leave something of yourself in what you create. I think it is just perfect.

Says it all...well, some of it!




18 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Annie! I know that you and Angeli will make this new venture a huge success! Your community will love learning from you both. They are so lucky to have you to guide them in their Zentangle/art practice. I am just so pleased for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Holly. You and many other of my Zentangle friends are part of the reason I have made this big decision. Axxx

      Delete
  2. Wonderful. I was wondering why you had dropped out of sight. Good to know things are going well. Looking forward to seeing more of you and your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been otherwise occupied, it's true! Hope you can find your way here one day on your travels!! That would be amazing. Axxx

      Delete
  3. Teaching is hard work, even on your own. But you're young and full of energy, so you can make it work for many years.
    Wishing you lots of success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Dita! I'm old enough to know I'd like to be younger...but I still have lots of enthusiasm. Axxx

      Delete
  4. WOW! Congratulations and well done to you both.
    I shall look forward to hearing more about your venture and wish you good luck. I have every confidence that your 'local' will be a huge success and I can't think of a better combination than two creative, energetic women who want to put their love, heart and soul into something with the aim of giving opportunities for others to do the same... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely words, Gaynor...thank you so much. I feel in my heart that we are offering something different and fun that is, in essence, valuable for all our wellbeing. Axxx

      Delete
  5. ¡Felicidades! I look forward to following along as you bring your ideas to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchisimas gracias, Suzanne! There will be photos...Axxx

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear the project's in full swing! I'll be one of your first clients....available for coffee, tapas, starting Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! Look forward to seeing you soon. Axxx

      Delete
  7. Wow, good for you! I wish you all the success in the world in your new venture. Maybe you'll even add in your chocolate making in the future! Good luck, looking forward to reading all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. I do think all this replaces chocolate making - it's certainly easier to teach and manage than chocolate! I think I'll be using the new blog page 'Meraki Studio Alcala' - I have rather a lot to manage now and time will be of the essence. I have moved on, been here and now I'm doing that! Exhausted before I start...but hopefully that's just today. Axxx

      Delete
  8. This may sound odd but this news sounds like it has success written all over it- You may just encourage me to stop doing the 'same old' and start something I really want to do. I'm really happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie. Only a week or so to go and I´m feeling very positive. I do hope it will encourage you too..I´d feel very proud! Thanks so much. Axxx

      Delete
  9. Read with interest Annie, definately not too old. I wish you happiness and every success in this next stage of your varied life. Carole x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head with my ´varied´ life!! Never boring for me! Thanks so much. Your encouragement has helped greatly. Axxx

      Delete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!