Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Thursday 21 February 2013

Of Salt and Silver

Image taken from this blog post....

My friend and fellow blogger, Janice, wrote recently about Saltaire Village. She discovered it about 30 years ago and it is obviously a very special place for her. Her piece was so evocative and well-written that it brought my own memories of this place flooding back. I wrote briefly about it in one of my early posts, when we were still living in England. Saltaire was a place I had to visit before we moved away.

My earliest connection with Saltaire was as a little girl when I would go every Saturday morning to Victoria Hall to Saltaire Ladies Gymnastics Club, which, in its heyday in the 40s, had representatives in the Olympic Squad. When I went, it was run by a funny little lady called Carrie Pollard - who it turns out was the founder member of the club and one of those Olympic gymnasts herself - a fact I have only just found out! She was good, very strict and we had to work really hard. I eventually made it onto the 'top mat' by pure fluke as we had to demonstrate we could do all the moves necessary - and on the day I was tested, I did my one and only successful handstand-into-crab without collapsing immediately. I never did it again and I'm not likely to try either! There must have been about 60 or 70 young girls, all with different skill levels, all pushing themselves and their various ligaments and joints to the extremes. The friend I went with was much better than me and particularly fearless on the parallel bars. What few people saw were the awful bruises she had on her hip bones.
A most impressive building

I stopped going when my music interests developed and I preferred to play in an orchestra on a Saturday morning - and glad to say, my friend also stopped gymnastics and joined the orchestra - though I also noticed that playing the violin gave her a nasty bruise under her chin too. Perhaps she bruised easily - maybe it demonstrated her determination at all things!

But my involvement with Saltaire didn't end there. No, a little later, I was part of a Symphonic Band made up of students from all the schools in Bradford and rehearsals were held on Fridays at Victoria Hall in Saltaire. I loved playing in that Band and we played during the Queen's Silver Jubilee year, 1977, during which time the Lord Mayor of Bradford was Tom, David Hockney's brother.

The rather overgrown tramway.
Last year saw record visitors so perhaps
it looks a little better now...
At this time, the mill - Salts Mill - was still manufacturing fabric and textiles. Saltaire Village itself always had a quaint appeal with its impressive Victorian buildings, straight, orderly streets and close proximity to the River Aire. Not far from the village centre there is a cable tramway - one of the oldest in Britain - which runs from near the Grammar School in Saltaire to the nearby beauty spot at Shipley Glen. We spent many happy hours exploring the Glen when we were younger but we never went on the tram. I don't think my dad could see the point of stopping and parking in one place, paying to take a tram to arrive at another that he could perfectly easily drive to in the first place. He had a point, I guess, but I had always hankered to go on the tram. And did, eventually, taking my own children one lovely day where we made the tram journey, spent the afternoon clambering over the rocks in the glen before catching the last tram back again.

After a period of living in London and Surrey (though we called it Middlesex) I eventually returned to Yorkshire. We very nearly bought a house in Saltaire - it was actually my first choice - but the houses there, although made from good, solid, millstone grit, were nearly all terraced and without gardens and the thing I'd promised myself when we moved back north was a dog - a Border Collie, no less. I needed a garden and we eventually settled on a lovely end Victorian terrace in Farsley, between Leeds and Bradford. (My wonderful, never to be replaced, dog was Bodley - a Border Collie cross of incredible intelligence and character. Sorry Darwin...)

Soon after settling, I began making chocolates and attended many a craft fair held at... Victoria Hall in Saltaire! This was around 1985. The mill closed in 1986 and just a year later, Jonathan Silver bought it and began his amazing transformation of the place. Janice may have discovered Saltaire, but I must have been one of the first through the doors of the new mill complex to enjoy the overwhelming scent of lilies, which were delivered in in their hundreds every week. I adore the smell of lilies and so strong is the memory of the scent of Salts Mill that I can conjure it up almost at will and be transported back to looking at David Hockney's paintings, browsing through the books and postcards - and on the subject of David Hockney, did I ever mention that my mum went to college with him? (I doubt he'll remember her though!) On my 30th birthday one of my celebrations was meeting up with lots and lots of friends for breakfast at Salts Diner. It was excellent - the scrambled eggs with salmon was my favourite!

In 1995, I entered a brief period of being footloose and fancy free and lived on the ground floor of a big Victorian house with enormous fireplaces, high ceilings and generously proportioned rooms. It was a perfect party house and I had rather a lot of parties in the year that followed. It was also situated just five minutes away from Saltaire, which had, by this time sprouted some wonderful clothes and shoe shops as I remember. And I bought rather a lot of nice clothes and shoes...the excuse being that my ex, in a ridiculous cliche, cut up all the clothes (and shoes) I didn't immediately take out of the house with me when I left. He dumped them in three black bin liners on my parents' driveway. I could never ever replace some of the fantastic shoes I had...though I tried quite hard to.

Almost every Sunday would see me at Salts Mill and Saltaire either with friends or alone. There was a gorgeous fabric company, called Skopos, that had a mill shop there. I don't know what's happened to them since but at the time, they made wonderful fabrics, furniture, sofas and chairs. It must have been New Year's Day in 1996 when I staggered in there with a whopping hangover from my party the night before; slumped on a huge cream sofa and when someone came over to see if I needed any help... I said I wanted to buy the sofa - partly because the thought of moving was too painful - but within a short space of time, I'd handed over a deposit and committed myself to it. It cost me an arm and a leg but for years, it was my pride and joy.  It was big enough to seat about five people and had feather-filled cushions and was almost as wide as a single bed from front to back. My excellent sister bought if from me when Cesar and I moved to Spain (the first time) and it has served her family well too. And it's still going strong in the student home of my niece and I get a glimpse of it now and again on her Facebook photos. It could have come from anywhere, but it didn't - it came from Saltaire.

Of course I've been back - on two out of the three times I've been home since we moved out to Spain. We had planned to go this time but as we had so little time with family and friends, we gave it a miss. Shame.

It could have been left to fall down, it could have been made into offices - there are some there - it could have become a museum. But it's become something new and alive in its own right - and last year, celebrated its 25th Anniversary. Sadly, Jonathan Silver died young - just 10 years after he opened Salts Mill. During those 10 years, he was always there - mainly on the ground floor where the Hockney pictures were exhibited - working as a shop assistant selling postcards, books and artist's materials. His brother, Robin, ran one of the upstairs areas that was filled with the most amazingly wonderful things for the home and he and Jonathan's widow, Maggie, have maintained and developed the momentum created by Jonathan. Don't assume I'm on first name terms with any of them, but my regular presence in those early days was recognised and acknowledged and even when I didn't visit much when the children were very young, on my last visit in 2010, the manager of the Diner greeted me again as if it was just days since he'd last seen me. Attention of this sort feels very personal because indeed, the place is so huge and there are so many visitors, that to notice any individual is quite a feat!

My children will still wax lyrical about the milkshakes they had in the Diner and we would lose Mateo for hours in the vast bookshop. I loved the smell, the space, the echoing, talking walls, the light and the worn floors. I loved the art, the music, the attention to detail found in Salts Mill. And of Saltaire itself, it epitomises all the good things I love about Yorkshire - Victorian architecture, stone-built, straight-rowed  houses, cricket pitches and big parks, Methodist and Congregational chapels, wonderful food and antique shops, gift shops and charity shops, tea shops and toy shops...is holds an important place in my memories.

(I know this happens to old people because they've told me...but I worry that I've already reached that phase in my life where I can't remember what I just did, but these old memories are as fresh as ever.)

Saltaire - a real memory lane - thank you, Janice, for tripping it for me!

16 comments:

  1. I know I don't like these conversions but your (and Janice's) pleasure in what became of Saltaire is infectious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a place that you'd have to really, really disapprove of in order not to like it - or appreciate it. It maybe isn't everyone's taste but very different from shopping in a mall!! Axxx

      Delete
  2. Oh I once saw an antiques roadshow which was filmed there and have wanted to go ever since. I am fascinated by history and it looked an amazing place.
    Thanks for sharing
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'd love it, Sophie - not just the Mill but the whole village. It's an real gem of a place and definitely worth a turn of the head if you're in the area. Axxx

      Delete
  3. Hello Annie:
    This is a wonderful description of childhood memories interlinked with a place which, so obviously, is very dear to you. Once, many, many years ago we were taken to see Saltaire as an example of a suburb designed almost specifically to house a workforce but as it was at least forty years ago, memories of it have dimmed somewhat.

    You may also know of Bournville in Birmingham, the model 'village' created by the Cadbury family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very dear indeed. Interesting that you were taken to see it all those years ago. I have never been to Bournville - despite (or perhaps because of) my love of chocolate though I am sure I'd find it very interesting.
      Thank you both for you kind comments.
      Axxx

      Delete
  4. Super post. Interesting, enjoyable and personal. I'm gripped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted you enjoyed it, Gaynor. It's the sort of place that were we ever to arrange a bloggers get-together, I would suggest as a fantastic venue!! Axxx

      Delete
  5. I'm all for the bloggers Saltaire meeting, but would vote for the upstairs eating place, rather than the diner....which I find too noisy ! ( another sign, we're getting older Annie).
    This is a wonderful post, and I am delighted that my words took you on this trip through the past. The parties sound good....but I am devastated to hear about your destroyed clothes and shoes.
    I also found the move from gymnastics to music interesting. My experience of gym clubs is that they are brilliant with little girls, but are incapable of coping with emerging teenagers, or having any understanding of the social life and body image stresses that puberty brings with it. That maybe a biased view from someone who had a hate/hate relationship with all PE teachers....but I recall daughter Jodie leaving her gym club because they continued to treat 13/14 year old like 7 year olds.
    As for Saltaire...what more can we say.....people must visit. Jxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Diner is very noisy - I didn't used to mind it but noticed it very much last time we went!
      The parties were fantastic - much blogging material still there (or at least nostalgic indulgence for me...) I will never forget the black bin bags. The clothes and shoes were a shame but the bags also included my photograph albums - in shreds. That was too much to bear.

      Gymnastics...well, it's quite inhuman really. Very, very hard on the body when it's taken to an advanced level. It was great to be able to turn perfect cartwheels, stand on my hands and do handsprings - and walking on the beam was nice too. But beyond that, not good at all. I had and kept a lot of flexibility when I was young, but yoga is a much better way to maintain it.

      When we're both in Yorkshire at the same time - we know where to go! Axxx

      Delete
  6. You organise a bloggers'' meeting at Saltaire and I'll be there if I possibly can, Annie. :-) It would kill two birds with one stone - a bloggers' get-together 9always to be desired) and a chance to visit Saltaire itself. Your post and Janice's have really whetted my appetite to visit this special place.

    I love the fact that you remember Salt's Mill when it was still doing what it was designed to do, as well as seeing and valuing its rescue and transformation. I'm afraid it really does look like you've reached the stage of life when your memories of the more distant past are wonderfully vivid, yet you can't remember what you just came upstairs for. :-)

    It's sad about your ruined possessions, the worst loss being for me the photographs. That must have been a hard blow. Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be great, Perpetua - well don't put it past us! I was delighted to read Janice's post about Saltaire and couldn't help myself from blogging about it too.

      I regret my photos very much. I salvaged about half a dozen and they are obviously very precious but I had been a keen photographer (note I didn't say 'good' - just keen!) and had a lot of photos. They are irreplaceable. But I've moved on!

      Thank you - ...now, what was it you were saying?
      Axxx

      Delete
  7. I have enjoyed reading your blog and also the one from Janice on Saltaire.Quite a good few years back an end of term staff do was organised somewhere in Saltaire---we all dressed in Victorian costume.Both your blogs have made me vividely recall the costumes we wore and how we paraded ourselves down some of the cobbled ways.Then still enjoying the July evening we all sat outside our venue to eat and drink soaking up the terrific surroundings.
    x Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed my post - and that of Janice too - and glad that you encountered Saltaire in such an interesting way!
      I'm sure the village itself has some wonderful stories to tell of its many visitors too. Axxx

      Delete
  8. How come you've made me feel nostalgic for Yorkshire when I'm sitting here in it??? Maybe because Saltaire is PROPER Yorkshire.
    What a coincidence your Mum being at art college with David Hockney - my ex's aunt used to say she encountered him there, though she was older than David. I wonder if your Mum knew Sheila Davy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll ask her, Nilly - wouldn't that be strange! She didn't stay at college long as she got a job in a laboratory. I never knew what she did but she always blamed her 'Mallen Streak' (if you know what that is) on her habit of putting peroxide on a quiff of hair to bleach it. She is certainly no artist - I must remember to ask her for more information!
      Saltaire really is proper Yorkshire - I know just what you mean. It has the power to make one very nostalgic...
      Thanks, Axxx

      Delete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!