Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Saturday 9 August 2014

On the crest

I have always thought of my blog as a sort of diary and in my blog list, some of my very favourite bloggers have a similar approach. It means that how I feel or what is happening to me and where I go and what I do forms the focus of my posts. Sometimes things aren't always so good. Sometimes when things are not so good, I don't post. Sometimes when life is really busy, I don't have time to post. I haven't posted very much recently. And I haven't been overly busy....

But fortunately, the bad things pass and we often grown stronger as a result. 

And then not just good things happen, but really great things happen!

This week has been a great week...and I would like to share a few highlights.

Monday, FR, Ruy, Romy and I (leaving teenage son at home) set off for a day on the beach - the first this year!

We found a beautiful, uncrowded bay near Almuñecar, on the Granada coast. It was a hot but not too hot day and the sea looked incredibly inviting. But there were few people in the sea....we so hoped it wasn't a jellyfish invasion. Ruy was the first in and he didn't stay long. He reported that it was cold. Very cold. So Romy went...and she also came back and reported the same but then she and Ruy returned and went in again together. 
I was next....and oh my! It was as cold a water as I have ever been in!! This is the Mediterranean, remember, and it was as cold as the waters that come directly from the mountains. It was impossible. I managed up to waist high but couldn't, absolutely could NOT dip any further and the thought of getting my shoulders in was too much of a risk, so I retreated. FR managed up to his calves. 

The sea to himself....Ruy the brave


Apparently, the wind had changed a couple of days earlier and had brought the currents through the straits of Gibraltar and with it the cold, cold waters of the Atlantic. It made our last beach day at Scarborough seem like swimming in a warm bath....(which wasn't how we described it at the time!)












But gorgeous, it was. And Ruy and Romy had a happy hour in a hired canoe, which they enjoyed. 









Next highlight of this bright week...Sam and Dave back from Scotland!! Yes, three months have passed and they've embarked on and embraced their new lives, new jobs, new schools in what has been a sunny Scotland...but were so very glad to be back in Alcala - especially Sam. We met on Wednesday evening in the park, where Alcala had thoughtfully provided some great live music outside the beautiful library and every one was out and about and just happened to be passing to say hello. We had a lovely evening.

Then the next day, they came to us. As with all good friends, it was just as if they'd never been away and we had one of FR's memorable and initially spectacular barbecues. 









We had a naming ceremony for a small, unusual dog whose eyes light up when the sun goes down - a gift sent to me by Sam from Scotland. We weren't sure why at the time as he is, to say the least, a tad unusual, bordering on tacky but as Sam said, we think of her every evening as he lights up the garden! And she was right. His chosen name...by democratic election - managed excellently by Isobel - is Rocker. (Though for the life of me, I can't think why!)


We ate well, drank well, talked and talked and laughed a lot...(and cried a bit) and had a wonderful evening together. (And took some pretty rubbishy photos....but never mind!)

Looks like we weren't eating much - but believe me, we got through quite a lot!


And the fun didn't stop there. Last night, there was a Flamenco evening at the beautiful little square right at the top of Alcala la Real, overlooking the town and La Mota. So of course we were going! 
Amazing....

View from San Marcos ...
And yes, we met Sam, family and friends there...


A wonderful setting for a fantastic set of performances...

And the highlight of the evening for me was the performance of these two.....I cannot begin to describe the emotion and sensation they created - it's not that sort of blog....! Needless to say, they were very much appreciated by the audience and there was a lot of 'Olé's as they performed...a sign that a phrase, a sentiment and a musical delivery has really hit the spot. I even spontaneously 'Olé´d myself a couple of times...it just seemed to pop out of me!

My photo was a bit blurred so I used an app on my new tablet to give it some character....I like it!

SO, we end our week on a real crest. And I can cope with the downs in a realistic manner when the ups are so high. And I can also really enjoy the blogging bit too. And will be reading and catching up on all my lovely blogging friends' posts again very soon.....



21 comments:

  1. What a wonderful week to signal the passing pf this particular down, Annie. We all have them in one way and another and all have our own way of dealing with them. I can't believe it's already 3 months since Sam and her family left and I'm glad to hear they've settled so well back in Scotland. Yes, with our best friends we pick up just where we left off.

    Your cold water experience brought back such a vivid memory of my first visit to the Mediterranean on a school trip to Provence when I was 16. We went to the coast for a day and though it was only the end of April it was so warm that some of the boys decided they'd go for a paddle. They rushed into the water and straight out again as it was literally freezing. We were at the mouth of the Rhone and it was melt water straight from the Alps. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Perpetua! Yes, it's good to get over a hump and wonderful to be on such on up! It's bitter sweet as Sam and family return on Wednesday....but have another trip planned for October.
      And lovely to have brought such a memory back...I can imagine exactly how cold that water was!!
      Axxx

      Delete
  2. I hate to think of you having a down patch.... I so wish I was closer...... It must have been wonderful to see Sam and Dave again. I can just imagine the emotion, and the fun that you will all have had. October is just around the corner too...so it wont be long before you see them again. Those friendships where things can just be picked up again are so good.
    Take care of yourself, I hope you aren't working too hard....lots of love to you all. Jxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, Janice - I've always been a bit of an up and downer - and whilst my ups are high, my downs are correspondingly low...They pass quickly, and for that I'm grateful!
      We've been having a ball and the only sad thing is that they have to go back again. David is happy about it but I know it will be just as hard for Sam as it was in April. And they'll miss the annual firework display by one day.
      I wish you were closer too but I am so in love with this place right now that I am wishing you here and not me there!
      I am lucky to have a trickle of work in August, so I'll get paid enough to cover my self-employment fees this month.
      You look to be having a wonderful happy family summer in France - what gorgeous grandchildren you have.
      Axxx

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry that things have not all been sunny recently...but what a pick up you describe in this post!
    Friends, family, fun....and I'm still laughing at your description of the reaction of family members to the cold sea...why is it that the phrase 'FR managed up to his calves' conjures up such a vivid image....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped to think before I mentioned a down patch, Helen, but decided it could go in...yes, it's always sunny here but life is life and there are some things that the sun doesn't always make better. But as you say - when it goes right, it's as if the sun is shining just for you!

      As for the cold sea - I wish I'd printed FR's actual words. You would have enjoyed the Spanish! Axxx

      Delete
  4. Just like the 'ups' can't always be planned the 'downs' certainly can't. They just hit you and there is often nothing that can be done but to work through them and wait. The bit you write about having high highs and correspondingly low lows is so true. At the moment I feel like life should be on a high, but isn't and I can't work out why.

    Our greatest friends are often the ones whose friendship isn't affected by time and distance. When you can pick up the threads of each other's lives within minutes and enjoy the times you can be together.

    Here's to many more 'ups' than 'downs' xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Gaynor. So much is unpredictable, isn't it..your high will come when its good and ready.
      It feels very good to have found real friends here in Spain, even if they now live in Scotland. They will come back when they can. It was wonderful to see my old friends in the UK the other week too. Always special.
      I'll raise my glass to the ups too.
      Axxx

      Delete
  5. I use my blog in the same way as you Annie. As a diary, but whereas you avoid posting about the downs, I tend to talk about mine...warts and all. Sometimes I wonder if it is a bit boring, but then I tell myself, this is my blog, and writing about the bad things is therapeutic. Maybe you would find sharing some of the downs therapeutic too? But, we're all different.

    What a lovely catch-up with your friends, and you all look so happy xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ayak, that sometimes sharing the downs can be theraputic but this time it wouldn't have been appropriate. I do know, however, that if I had needed advice, then here I could have counted on some good stuff!
      A week makes a big difference and we've all had a good one.
      Thank you, Axxx

      Delete
  6. So good to know that the rough spots smoothed out for a nice bit, Annie. This all sounds so peat and needed. Best wishes to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Penny. I am usually very much a 'glass half full' sort...and right now, it's really quite full indeed. Axxx

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an ole week. Hope your downs stay down and any black dog that tries to creep in at least has lightly up eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A really great week, B2B. And as wellas turning that corner, I also know to be very grateful for what I've got. Axxx

      Delete
  8. I'm really glad to hear things are well after a bad time and this reminds us of what Paul Mccartney once said, "Nobody gets a perfect life." Goodness, things are crazy and, let's say, "not good" here at the moment - but although my blog is about things we do and in a way is a diary, it is also, for me, an escape and so I try to keep it going while all around me falls apart. It helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was right, was Paul! Sorry you're in a crazy place that's not too good though, Nilly. Here's hoping you get some crazy good very soon. Your blog is an absolute joy and I am so glad to have found you. It might not be a diary as such, but we love to join you the escape party. As you say, blogging helps. Axxx

      Delete
  9. Downs, and I never really know what to call those wibbly bits that aren't downs exactly but are certainly discombobulating ... they both drop in unannounced sometimes and often out stay their welcome. Looking at that sea, which does look cold, maybe your froze your blues out!

    Hope the rest of the summer is as good as your last week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely in a discombubulated state, Annie...as uncomfortable as it sounds. I like the idea that the sea froze out the blues....it sums it all up perfectly!
      The last week has been good enough to last me the summer - I'm not greedy but I do live in hope!
      Axxx

      Delete
  10. My blogs have never really been diaries... but each post is a reminder of what was happening in my life at the time. Secret code!
    I'm pleased to see happy posts on diary blogs - they are always cheering.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the mystery of your secret code, Ms S! Your blog is fascinating to me - as are the comments that follow your posts! Axxx

      Delete
  11. I'm a bit of a roller-coaster as well and it's lovely to hear all about your 'up' time! And colder water than Scarborough - gosh!!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!