Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Sunday 14 September 2014

Some weeding due...

My blog garden is falling into a state of neglect, I'm afraid. Time for some weeding and pruning, or rather, some devoted attention.

I have hardly blogged this summer and hardly read the blogs of my friends. It's a strange feeling - in June, it seems as though the summer stretches out endlessly ahead and that there'll be time aplenty to do all the things that need to be done or that we want to do. And we do them - without doubt, this summer, we've done lots - but then sneakily, a subtle change comes about.

It starts as soon as the calendar turns to September. We see the odd cloud in the sky for the first time in months. Our evening walks with Pip have to begin earlier and finish before 9 o'clock or we risk being stranded in the dark. The overnight temperature drops low and we have to pull out a fine blanket on the bed for sleeping.

And then school starts and everything changes! No more lazy mornings; now, it's up just as the sun is rising and the air is still very chilly. No more late, late nights when the temperatures drop enough for us to feel able to be active. It's back to work and back to a schedule. And probably no bad thing.

So, to leave my borders tidy and my lawn well mown (figuratively speaking - my 'garden' still has a long way to go before we get to that stage!) I will share some photos from our lovely summer and then I shall start afresh with life as it is in Casa Rosales as we begin the new school term and focus on learning and growing for another year!

Some of our almond harvest

En route to Valladolid

Taking in some amazing scenery on the way!

Something not too nasty in the woodshed...

Cousins' poker school...

And some rain!!

Buying some of the excellent wine from Rueda

And a picnic in our favourite spot above Madrid.

Just back in Andalucia looking for vultures..

A most amazing spot and well worth leaving the motorway for.

Glad to be home again too.

And, back to work!!

For some, it's still back to play though!


Oh, and lots of Zentangle of course!



And a selfie on my new tablet.
Hello!

Hope you've had a good summer too - I shall definitely be reading again soon! 

Axxx

17 comments:

  1. You've had a pretty busy summer...but don't you look well on it! Lovely selfie!
    We're in Spain now...just starting to tidy up house and garden and awaiting the avalanche of visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. The selfie is a difficult one after a certain age without doubt and you won't see many more!
      It great to think of you in Spain - enjoying your visitors now, I hope. You have such a lovely house here and it would be wonderful to think of visiting you in the future. Axxx

      Delete
  2. Hi Annie , Blogging has been on my mind in the last week. I have loads to share but having a bloggers block. could be to do with the fact that I have just returned from a fantastic trip to Italy , and didn't want to come home. I am in work this week, and my hubby is away for a month , in Asia , that is not good , :-( so maybe get back to it in a weeks time. Love you photo, You have had a pretty busy summer , blogging is meant to be fun , don't worry , take care Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do think that you shouldn't worry about blogger's block. Either blog lots of pictures and few words (you'll see I do this!) or just wait for inspiration. Glad to hear you've had a good trip to Italy and I understand you not wanting to come back.
      Asia is a long way away but hopefully you are OK on your own - I know I am!
      Yes, we've had a good summer and now, as the children return to school and we have to get up before it's quite light, it feels like summer has finished and we're on the autumn stretch.
      Take care you too,
      Axxx

      Delete
  3. Great photo. I don't have the "back to school" excuse" in our household but will borrow yours and see if I can use it to get motivated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It already feels totally different at home, B2B, especially the getting-up-at-the-crack-of-dawn bit. This is not my/our forte at all and don't recommend you do unless you really have to.
      I need to feel motivated as I have a kitchen full of local produce that needs 'dealing' with!
      Axxx

      Delete
  4. Hello!

    I've been a bit off the boil blog-wise this summer too, but it's just a blip me with me (resulting from current circumstances) as I'm sure it is with you too.

    Lovely to catch up with you - it looks like you've had a fabulous summer = and now I'm off to catch up with everyone else (I think I may read too many blogs!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Annie! I keep thinking how lovely it would have been to catch up at Cheshire Oaks...I wasn't planning on a second visit but I could force myself if a coffee together were on the cards!
      Summer is either the perfect blogging time or just not and I know a few that have been uninspired/unable to do much this summer - but. if time allows, I am hoping to get back into the swing. And that includes reading...I've been awfully neglectful.
      Hugs, Axxx

      Delete
  5. Love your selfie, Annie, and photo montage from your busy summer. I'll never catch up on my weeding, I'm afraid, but, at least I always know I have something to do. hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny - I see you haven't stopped blogging for the summer and I do enjoy reading your lovely posts when I'm relaxing in the evenings, though this sometimes means that I don't always comment. But I'm still with you and glad you are with me.
      Weeding is a never-ending job!
      Axxx

      Delete
  6. What a great end-of-summer post. I love those Spanish mountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nilly - we love the mountains too and promise you that we appreciate them every day! And it does feel like the end of summer now - chilly even!
      Axxx

      Delete
  7. The pattern of our years has always been so tied up with school term times.....and for us, just when I thought those days were over, I realise that grandchildren can only visit France in school holidays, daughter in law Sarah is a teacher and of course, now, so is Jess..... so I'm back to planning being back in the UK for Jess's half term, and looking forward to the normal routines again.
    I'm not sure how much weeding I'll get done here in Caunes before we go back in a months time, but I do want to get a bit done, anything to make things easier for next April/may !
    The garden at Casa Rosales seems to be developing well, so I look forward to seeing how it progresses now things are a little cooler. ......and, as I have already told you. I love the selfie...you look gorgeous. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, school and term times will obviously continue to dominate your schedule and planning! Although the children don't have a half-term here, I have built one into my own teaching timetable as I really value the break and feel my students need a break from me too. The children get a few days holiday dotted around before Christmas, including this Friday when it's the local fiesta and annual fair in Alcala.
      I think progress in the garden will move on apace during the next few months as the weather is much better for doing manual labour. even though FR is starting up with his theatre group again very soon.
      And you are too kind - obviously, I wouldn't post an unflattering selfie. Can't tell you how long it took me to get that one, so there won't be many more in the future but at least there's one. I've loved the recent ones of you too. Axxx

      Delete
  8. I think we all slow down with blogging...writing and reading...during the summer months. I certainly have. It sounds like you are getting motivated again. I wish I could say the same. Lovely photos of your wonderful summer Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely feeling more motivate, Ayak, though time will always be against me, I think! I have missed reading too and will be trying to get back up to speed especially as I have a little tablet now that means I don't have to fight off a child from the PC! Axxx

      Delete
  9. Oh, I know all about being behind with blogging and reading, Annie. I seem to have spent the summer apologising for being so late reading and commenting and now it's even worse with the move about to begin. I really love your photo journal of your summer activities, especially the selfie and the photos are even better when when in the Lightbox.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!