Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Saturday 8 November 2014

Finding Dory...

11 years ago this month a lovely Pixar film came out called 'Finding Nemo'. Ostensibly for children, but I remember going to the cinema to see it with my boys and a friend and her two girls and both she and I were utterly enchanted from the very first moment and confessed afterwards to shedding a few tears towards the end....

But I won't bore you with the details, other than to say it's an emotional roller coaster of a story, set underwater and starring a variety of fish,sharks, turtles and birds. There's also an Australian dentist and his rather scary young niece. It's fantastic. Watch it.

And for me, the star of the film was a cheerful, helpful and friendly blue fish called Dory. She captured my heart from the very beginning and although the voice sounded really familiar, I couldn't place the actor who voiced the part. And even when I discovered it was Ellen Degeneres, I wasn't familiar enough with her to be able to work out why Dory seemed so very well-known to me.

We bought the video and my children watched it over and over, and so did I. And had to admit that I identified with Dory. Not just because she has a short-term memory problem....though that was a part of it....but because she's an eternal optimist and utterly trusting, generous and good natured. Is this a self-portrait? No, I definitely not saying I am like this all the time but I have days where I definitely feel 'Doryish'. And there's also the occasional panic when my memory does let me down....and then I forget all about it and am happy again!

So, Dory was a favourite of mine from the beginning and then one day at work, in the office of the Education Service, a couple of teachers from one of the Special Schools came in with some art work done by the children. It was a set of characters from 'Finding Nemo' made from papier mache - and it included the lovely Dory. At the end of the period of the exhibition, I put in a request and a donation to be able to keep Dory and she stood in a corner of my office until the day I left. And then I had to bequeath her care to a willing friend, Helen, And Helen has been taking care of her ever since.

UNTIL!!! Last weekend, Denise and Jim paid us a special visit - special because despite Jim's illness, the two of them are on a great adventure around France and Spain. They have their home in Orkney and had travelled down from there, stopping off in Huddersfield where Helen had the wonderful idea of asking them to bring Dory back to me! So Dory has travelled in the back of the car through Belgium, France, over the Pyrenees, all the way through Spain and right to Alcala la Real.

I was delighted - and here we are - happily reunited. Daft as it seems, it has really moved me to have her back. Thank you Helen, thank you Denise - and good on you Dory,  you keep on swimming, just keep swimming.



And I'm quite surprised and pleased to discover that my title for this blog is also rather prophetic as Pixar are making a film of the same title to be released in 2016. Think I will definitely be seeing that one! If I remember, that is....


13 comments:

  1. A delightful post, Annie, and I'm so pleased to hear that you've been reunited with Dory at last. What lovely friends you have to do something like that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Perpetua - silly, I know but clearly my friends understand me very well - and for that, well, I am so very grateful. Axxx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Don't I just! And they are the things I will never forget. Axxx

      Delete
  3. Loved that film too, Nemo was cute, but Dory was the favourite, great post and I'm pleased you have been reunited at last xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone should see the film, Chrissie - there was so much that is true in life in it. Glad you liked it too. Axxx

      Delete
  4. Dory is a brilliant character, and I love thinking about you as a Dory type.....but no matter what short term memory problems you feel you have.....you are more focused, more often, Just think of your various projects and how much time and enthusiasm you devote to them....all very focused. However....having a Dory like butterfly brain, flitting from one responsibility/project/fascinating past time...to another, juggling them all, and remaining completely lovely, totally dependable and reliable....keeping the important things at the centre of life.....well, yes....you are Dory ! Lots and lots of love Jx ( Any plans for a Yorkshire trip in the offing ???) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for picking up all those particular Doryesque qualities, imbuing them with such positivity and giving them to me! Metaphorically, I am a juggler but can I do it in real life?? Despite hours of practice, I am useless...more practice, I guess, but I keep getting sidetracked.
      No immediate plans for a Yorkshire trip, I'm afraid. I have a visit to Scotland lined up in February with Romy though and may just manage to catch Celia if I'm lucky! Right now, the rain is lashing down and I may as well be in Yorkshire! Fancy a cuppa?
      Axxx

      Delete
    2. ooh yes, put the kettle on. Wouldn't a cup of tea and a natter be great . xxxx

      Delete
  5. I've avoided Finding Nemo because I have a strong hunch that it would make me blub.... but, okay, next time it's on, I'll watch.
    You have lovely friends.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hunch could be correct - but it may just be the way you are standing....It isn't as bad as ET. I had to have two days off work after watching that - I looked so bad but could tell anyone what had happened as I started crying again.
      I have lovely friend. Yes. I do. Thank you.
      Axxx

      Delete
  6. This is wonderful, wonderful, Annie - and thank you for sharing it here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly and wonderful - so glad you like it, Penny! Axxx

      Delete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!