Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Sunday 29 March 2015

When you find a little time....

Write a post.....

This is the first Sunday in a while that I've had a bit of time. Writing posts during the week is practically impossible nowadays as I am teaching every day, including Saturday morning, and by the time I get home, the computer has been well and truly taken over by one of my three.

Usually, on Sundays, I take Ruy to do archery and have a lovely, leisurely breakfast in a nearby cafe. I suppose I could write my blog then, but it would have to be on my phone and to be honest, this is very difficult. And as I get older and become more a creature of habit, then this time has become my tangling time....I can't imagine not tangling whilst I sip my coffee and crunch on my 'tostada con tomate'.

I'm loving my teaching hours - and now I have plenty - but am very glad to have arranged a week off. I find that I get a lot of energy from the teaching process but when I come home, I find I'm quite drained!  I have recently discovered that my teaching 'technique' has a name - Dogme - which basically allows a conversation to follow in any direction, using the 'journey' as the opportunity for learning. I do usually prepare something for my classes in advance but these are generally things that simply set the ball rolling and I don't feel the need to deliver exactly what I've prepared. This means we often talk about incredibly interesting subjects, even if some of my students find it difficult to express themselves well in English. But they are so keen to try that some learning is absolutely inevitable! And it gives them greater confidence. Even with my basic group, we've covered things like global warming, book and film reviews, solar and nuclear power...in fact, life, the Universe and everything!

Barney is still with us as I write but as it's Easter this week, he may well be missing from our garden by this time next week...
Here he is looking rather majestic, if a little out of focus.


And another of him under his umbrella.



I recently posted a couple of pictures on Facebook and a number of people commented on how big Pip had grown...yes, he's a large dog! He's incredibly handsome and sweet natured but still has a tendency to jump up, particularly at me as he does love me so much. He's fantastic to take on a walk and never goes far from my side, which makes me feel very safe indeed. Here are a couple of him today, hunting a bumble bee in the grass...


And just being handsome in the sunshine.




We have some wonderful blue skies now and the blossom is well and truly out - even on our old and rather unproductive almond tree, seen here. The smell is, of course, wonderful - honeyed and sweet and everywhere. It is a most perfect time of the year.

Tomorrow, we're planning to have a visit to the Sierra Nevada to take advantage of the snow whilst it's still there and the days are warm and pleasant.

And later in the week, I'm hoping to have a trip to the coast, so maybe I'll be able to take photos other than of the sky, Pip and the turkey!

I have no problem whatsoever in the repetition of the days or even my numerous trips in and out of Alcala. I have reached an incredibly settled and happy period of my life and I'm just enjoying each day. Nothing can buy this feeling, I'm sure, and ups and downs do happen, so I don't expect it to last forever.
But be quite sure, my silence in the blogging world is nothing to do with wanting to keep quiet or out of sight. It's a sign that I'm really very busy being here and being happy right now.
(It's almost boring ... but not quite!)

Hoping to get another post in before the Easter weekend and also to start catching up again on all the lovely blogs that I like to follow. Take care everyone and may you have a very happy week - whether busy, sunny or otherwise.

Axxx


10 comments:

  1. I approve of Dogme very much. Seems like a good way to sort out & understand most things! (By the way, while you're tangling, I'm pinteresting - it's my addiction.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nilly, and thank you for your comments. I can occasionally be found pintertesting too! Axxx

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a busy and satisfying life you're leading, Annie. I'm glad you've found time to update us, but quite understand why blogging has to take a back seat.

    As a linguist who was taught very much in the traditional manner, I'm fascinated by the concept of Dogme language teaching. It makes a lot os sense and means that the students are learning skills and vocabulary that will stand them in such good stead in the real world. It's a long way from 'la plume de ma tante.' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Perpetua. I really do think I can hear an improvement in the conversation of my students and this is the most important thing. The fun is probably secondary.
      I need give myself some lessons though - in Spanish - I do seem to spend all my days speaking English and it just won't do!
      Ax

      Delete
  3. Your penultimate paragraph says it all and describes the phase my life was going through about 12 years ago. Believe me when I say this special time passes so quickly. Enjoy your family and your life. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something very satisfying about having a good routine...and I never thought I hear myself saying this! Thank you Gaynor, it's a good time and even if it passes quickly, we are really trying to make the most of it. Axxx

      Delete
  4. Annie, you sound so content, it's a joy to read your words. So glad you've found the place you spent so long looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, B2B. I sometimes wish there were a couple more hours in the day, I know that. But there is peace and satisfaction and that is pretty well priceless. Axxx

      Delete
  5. So glad that you're so happy and busy....with that move a lot of things seemed to fall into place. Your blog post radiates happiness.
    But don't you dare eat Barney! It would be like us eating Monty.

    When I look back to the way French was taught at school.....all the grammar, which, to be fair, stood me in great stead when I moved to France, but didn't give much confidence in speaking it...I still remember O Level French oral with some pervert asking me about my hair grips and trying to touch them...if only I had had then the vocabulary which I was to acquire later, I could have blown him backwards bow legged.

    When in France I came to know a woman who had just retired as principal of a maternelle and she had good advice...it doesn't matter how you say it as long as you do say it...you'll learn the correct way as you go along, as children do. Sounds like the Dogme method you are using.

    When I think that the school languages department's idea of introducing us to French society and culture was to instruct us in the rules of precedence...how to seat people appropriately at the dinner table...who takes in whom...no wonder we all preferred the Latin lessons where Caesar was always throwing his army several thousands of paces over rivers...much more exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know that some of that content is radiating through, Helen. And you will have seen that so far, Barney is still the turkey who lives on the hill...
      I had an excellent French teacher from the age of 11 to 13 - at Junior High School - and thanks to her, I found learning French easy for school purposes. However, it took me until after I left school to find the confidence to just 'talk' when I met French people and I agree that it doesn't matter how you say as long as you do!
      And as I was never shown how to seat people at dinner, nor did I do Latin - I sometimes feel my own education has been sadly lacking!
      Axxx

      Delete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!