Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Fruits of my labour


Been busy, busy, busy these past few days. We'd already stopped on our way back from a lovely day out in Valdepenas de Jaen and picked several bags of green figs, which I turned into our favourite fig and orange jam with walnuts. And there's only one jar of that left...it is so delicious.


And on a walk in the countryside, we found a tree of plums - (a plum tree) - which were too sour to eat so I made a sweet and sour sauce to eat with pork. That's sitting for a month to develop its flavour.

Then we had the rain of tomatoes and pepinos (cucumber) from all sides - our landlord, our next door neighbour and our ex-next-piso neighbour all showering their fruits upon us. So we salsa'd and passata'd and tzatziki'd and gazpacho'd and chopped and ate and froze our welcome and unexpected bounty.


 
Then two weeks ago, Greet, a Dutch lady who has joined my Spanish conversation class, brought me a big bag of gorgeous purple figs - glut from her many trees. We ate a lot of them almost straight from the bag- then we ate some more with honey or mixed with greek yogurt and when we'd had our fill, I froze several handy bags and with the rest I made a spicy fig jam.

And we're already part way down that jar.









And last week, Carol, also a conversation class member, brought me bags of pears - so many that she actually apologised. I shared them with several other people who fancied a couple of kilos but still had to make two trips to get them all home.

This week I have been mostly peeling pears.

And I found this wonderful recipe for Belgian Pears which is basically sugar, white wine vinegar and pears but the chemical mix and the combination of the ingredients is pure magic! They are out-of-this-world delicious and I know they are not going to last long...


Our new shelves are now bearing the weight of all this wonderful - almost free - food. It is almost (but not quite) as good as making chocolates.....

I am so very grateful for all generosity of everyone around here. I shall be handing out a few of these jars as tangible thanks and that feels good!

5 comments:

  1. I love your labelling Annie. The idea of giving each jar its provenance so you know who gave you the fruit or where you found it is such a sweet way to keep your memories.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. another full store cupboard, Annie :-) Doesn't it make you feel good to see it all there after you hard work?

    Sorry I've not been around much recently, but I hope to be back to normal soon. I feel like I've been neglecting my blog friends terribly. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. I am totally loving this! I also love the labels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments. Specially nice to see Perpetua back! As for the labels, I need to find some better ones cos I love nice labels and these are really only just OK!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!