Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Monday 4 April 2011

A little corner

Many years ago - fifteen or so - not long after Cesar and I first met, we decided to go and live in Spain. We didn't know if it would be forever though we hoped it might be. I was lucky enough to be given a year's sabbatical from work on the basis that if we were not going to return, I would give 3 months notice. It was a wonderful opportunity. In the end, we came back but we'll never forget the time we spent here in this little corner.

Cesar had an old friend who played trumpet in the Malaga Symphony Orchestra so for this reason and the fact that the weather is rather nice in Malaga, we decided to head directly there. Buying a large, old and, as it turns out, rather dubious left-hand drive Nissan Patrol, we piled as many of our things as we could. The rest went on top in a rather rickety heap. The neighbours, observing our precarious load, muttered something about us not getting as far as Morrison's, never mind Malaga. They were wrong. We made it and had immense fun getting there.

We stayed a couple of days with the charming and easy-going Angel, (said trumpeter), his wife, Rosa and their lovely little boy, who must now be 17 or 18 at the least during which time, we managed to find an apartment to rent. It was one of the villages to the east of Malaga that spread along the coastline towards the border with Granada. Rincón de la Victoria. Rincón means corner in Spanish, though it was very much a straight-line sort of place, with a couple of hotels, a nice modern plaza where the local council offices were situated and an old building turned into an art gallery, with a funny statue of a roundish woman and a pig .. or probably a wild boar. 


Now, I have just been looking all over for an image to share with you of this and after much searching, I have only been able to find one, so thank you mateus64 for this! Definitely a wild boar, not a pig.










Where was I?
Ah yes - for the last two Saturdays, Cesar and the children have been on the beach at Rincon de la Victoria - right outside the apartment we used to live in. He took them there last week after dropping me off at the airport for my visit to England. I was actually rather surprised he found it, (no GPS) but he said the place hadn't changed much, so we went again this weekend and I saw it for myself. It's an easy drive and took about two hours.

Ground floor - last window on the right - that was ours

It was quite strange to stand outside the gate - memories flooding back - seeing the place again. It looked really rather nice and is in a fantastic situation, just the road and a pathway between it and the med.

It's not true that it hasn't changed - it's grown and grown - but the apartment and its immediate surroundings are just the same. 







And turning around, cross the road and over the steps to the beach. I used to go in my swimming costume, (which didn't stop the traffic because there wasn't any).





A good deal of beachcombing went on during the two visits - I remember spending hours picking up little shells of all shapes myself during our time here - and a good many more found their way back to our apartment. I still have a jar of them that I used to keep in the bathroom and the children are fascinated to think that they came from this beach!

 Just caught Ruy in mid-jump!

 
What they liked best was finding a section of beach where the sea had washed away part of a wall, leaving holes and areas for excavation. Although all three are fine and no danger was encountered, I found myself looking a little askance at Cesar for allowing such play. Sure enough, to ensure no other silly folks played in sand caves, the next time we visited, the council had flattened the 'wall' rendering the beach a safer, if slightly less interesting place.


Asking for trouble if you ask me - but I wasn't there and they didn't ask.




And they all emerged totally unscathed.



And were very proud of their labyrinth of caves and tunnels.










So, a little corner of the world - Rincon de la Victoria - where Annie and Cesar lived for just ten short dreamy months, not sure if they'd ever have a family together; never thinking that one day they'd return to the place; not knowing what the future held for them both and certainly never dreaming they'd have three children with them when they did eventually return. A very special little corner.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely account, Annie! How nice to go back to somewhere you were very happy and find some things unchanged. I see what you mean about the sand holes, but luckily all ended happily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always makes me feel so happy when I read your blog, it's so sweet, I'm glad those 15 years or so have gone well for you. :)
    RH xx

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!