Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Thursday 19 September 2013

News from my small blogging world

Blogging has increased my circle of friends in a wonderful way. Today, I want to say a special hello to Perpetua, who I know is becoming rather nervous about an approaching eye operation. It's not a little thing to have to face but I know there are so very many people thinking about you, Perpetua, and hoping that all goes smoothly for you. Those nerves won't go away, I know, but at least it will very soon be all done. You are in a lot of people's thoughts right now.

Gaynor, I'm still waiting to hear back from the Notaire in Tournon St. Martin as I start formal proceedings to sort out my house in Lurais. I just wanted to say a huge thank you for making the trip out to Les Basses Granges to check out the state of the property these days. It amused me greatly that you and Tim and your friend were on that little lane leading up to my house there and was delighted with the photos you took, especially to see the little shrine infront of the house again! It was absolutely above and beyond the call of a blogging 'contact' to do this for me but I feel it was done out of genuine friendship and I'm so grateful. Did Tom receive his birthday cake in Japan?

And in just about a week's time, I shall be waiting for the phone call from Janice (not in Caunes at the time of calling, I hope!) and Mark to say that they have made the long drive down and have arrived safely in Alcala la Real. I know they've had a busy few days - a new grandson made an appearance a couple of weeks early - and so, before setting off to Spain, they flew back to the UK to visit him. He hasn't made it onto the blog yet, but I've seen a few beautiful photos posted on Facebook, so I know he's absolutely gorgeous and worth the trip back to see.

I understand Janice has a friend who lives just north of Valencia, whom she and Mark will be visiting before heading south. She only just missed the opportunity to visit Helen, of Venomous Bead blogging fame, who has a house nearby but who has now returned to Costa Rica. That would have been excellent fun - except I would have been dreadfully envious - how I'd love to spend some time with Helen - and it would have made the wait for her to arrive seem almost unbearable!

Not much more than a year ago, Janice and I decided that at some point in 2013, we must meet up. After working in the same local authority for many years, it's been blogging, not working that seems to have brought us really close and in tune with each other. Our work circles didn't overlap that much which in retrospect seems such a shame. We had much greater opportunities to get together in the past. It's not quite so easy now. And Janice has had quite a year. Those of you who have followed her journey through illness and recovery must agree that she has been absolutely incredible throughout. I have said it before, but I am filled with admiration for her approach.

We met at Christmas when I came back to spend a few days with family. It was a very special hug we shared - if ever a hug spoke words, that one did. For my part, it was a 'thank goodness; you're doing so well...now be brave and strong and get completely better' sort of hug. And now for that meet up! Hurray!!

And now she is and will be here in just a few days time. I'm pretty sure we'll be sharing our days together with those of you who are our shared blogging pals...who will be next for a meet up??

See you soon!
Axxx

18 comments:

  1. I love blogging - it still comes as a surprise to me that it is possible to meet so many great people this way.
    One day I hope to get to your part of the world and just in case you get to my side of the Med you should contact Jay at rovingjay@gmail.com who is trying to get in touch with you to give the Guide to the Bodrum Peninsula you won in her draw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi B2B - yes, there are a few people, yourself included, that I feel as close to as if I knew you in 'real life'. It may be an illusion but I suspect not.

      I thought I'd been in touch with Jay but I'll drop her a line - it would be lovely to browse her guide.
      Axxx

      Delete
  2. Awww, thanks, Annie. That is so sweet of you. :-)

    This blogging lark is wonderful at bringing us together with people we could never have met in any other way and yet who become real friends as we read and post. I too would love to spend time with Helen on either side of the Atlantic and really envy you the coming visit by Janice and mark. Are you actually expecting to find time to sleep? Asfor Gaynor helping you out like that, it's wonderful how very kind people can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said to B2B, there are some people who really do feel like friends and as I would with any friend, I am thinking of your forthcoming operation and hoping it goes really well for you.

      I shall try not to exhaust Janice but it might be difficult! Mark is incredibly sensible though and will make sure we don't overdo it....oooh, can't wait!

      Gaynor did a sterling job and made me laugh to boot!

      As my children grow up and I am not required at home so much, I shall be able to venture further afield and for longer. Who knows whether a trip to Costa Rica might be on the cards (though perhaps I should wait til Helen's in Spain...)

      Thinking of you,
      Axxx

      Delete
  3. Hi Annie,
    We were very happy to be of some help with our photographs, and only sorry that as the house was inhabited we couldn't get as many close up shots as we would have liked. Our friends live fairly close in a hamlet called Champagne so we'll try again in October, by which time I hope the Notaire will have been in touch with you.
    I've met up with quite a number of my blogging friends who live in and around the Touraine sud. Our lives there have been enriched by these friendships and we rarely go without being given garden produce or invited to lunch or dinner by someone.
    I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time catching up with Janice and Mark as you share so much more than just the blogosphere. You have a shared history!

    The cake did arrive in one piece..... I bought a M&S iced fruit cake and padded the box. the FedEx delivery was picked up on Friday and delivered on Tuedsay. We shared a Skype call last night/morning for Tom when he opened his box. He is already looking forward to his Christmas box.... No pressure!!!
    Hope the unpacking is going well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again! It was your irritation that the place was occupied that amused me so much. It sounds like my ex and his partner were there at the time.

      Lovely that you have met up with other French-based bloggers. I can't wait for Janice and Mark to arrive - you're right, we share more than just our blogs and have a lot to catch up on.

      So glad the cake arrived safely! That's very good to know. I'd like to send my family chocolates at Christmas but was worried about them arriving. I will remember FedEx.

      Unpacking was going smoothly but today has been rather trying...

      Axxx

      Delete
  4. Bloggers are helpful people indeed...I met Antoinette and Niall of Chez Charnizay in Saumur last year...and they were most helpful in tracking down a notaire who had gone off piste...
    I have had lots of encouragement and advice on how to cope with a computer from Ayak and Perpetua...
    Have been grateful for the kindness of other bloggers when my husband has been ill and things have looked somewhat grim...
    And have just learned to open my eyes so much more through other bloggers' enthusiasms.
    A lovely bunch of people.

    Have a wonderful time with Janice...I am sorry to have missed her.
    With the EU funded road infrastructure and the existance of low cost flights perhaps a mighty bloggerfest might be possible...all I have to do is find the solar powered waterwings to get me over the Atlantic to join in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure Antoinette and Niall were lovely but what made my heart leap a tad was that you met in Saumur, one of my all time favourite places in France! You have mentioned some of my favourite people who have always offered sensible advice and comments. A very lovely bunch.

      Yes, it's a shame you've missed Janice but never mind...we only need the bright sparks amongst us to come up with the mother of all meetings at sometime in the future! Get planning!

      Axxx

      Delete
  5. Have a wonderful time with your friend Janice. Isn't just amazing when you do finally meet, very emotional. I met friends in Paris in 2009 and we are all still friends and the circle has got a little bit bigger. And in fact just a few weeks ago , My friend came from Paris and I went from Oxford to London for a wedding of our friend , who used to live in Paris and that is where we all met :-) Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much looking forward to seeing Janice again. Her illness has made it so much more important and emotional. It's lovely to find friends all over but I hadn't expected to feel so much amongst friends in the blogosphere!

      Axxx

      Delete
  6. What a lovely bunch of people you are! I must admit blogging and reading the blogs I follow gives me a lovely warm feeling, but is it my escape? I'm afraid I'm much duller than the persona I create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nilly - you are such a part of my blogging world! So don't say 'you', say 'we'. As for not being the persona we create...crucial for our psychological health. The day we believe we are what we want people to believe we are is the day we have problems. Something of our ourselves comes through what we write and present but it isn't WHO we are, is it? (Sorry, it's early and I'm not myself first thing in the morning...;-) )
      Axxx

      Delete
  7. Lovely post Annie. I love this little blogging community and like you, have met some really good friends through blogging. Long may it continue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Ayak. It would feel strange to me now not knowing what's going on in your village, with your dogs and Mr A...without you. You are so lucky to be able to meet up with blog friends. I think you might hear quite a bit about mine and Janice's meet up!
      Axxx

      Delete
  8. Only a week to go Annie, and I will be knocking on your door...or phoning you from Alcala to tell you we have arrived anyway. Blogging has introduced us to so many lovely people.....most of whom have already commented on this post. It is so good to see all the familiar names, and have ideas about what they are all like, and to share in so much of their lives. I am sure we will meet up with Helen at some stage.....and I would certainly be up for any gathering we could organise. Perhaps that should be our task next week.....to think about a blogging get together at some stage when the most amount of people could get to somewhere in the world with the least amount of travel.

    Lets hope Ayak has water soon, and Perpetua's op goes well and that all the rest of our fascinating group of people are interested in what will have to be our joint blog next week ! Lots of love, see you soon. Jxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will need to shout from the gate, Janice... nothing quite as refined as knocking on the door round here. I know you'll forgive the unpacked boxes and bubble-wrapped pictures that are strewn around - we'll do our best to clear some nattering space before next week though.
      Have a wonderful and safe journey down. Can't wait for that phone call! Axxx

      Delete
  9. I have made such wonderful friends through blogging, and despite our never having met I count you among them m'dear. What a wonderful corner of the blogosphere we inhabit, people with such generous souls. Have a wonderful time with Janice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annie! I do sometimes feel remarkably 'close' to some of you even though we have never met - it is a jolly nice corner, isn't it?

      Janice and I will have a ball, I have no doubt.
      Axxx

      Delete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!