Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Monday 30 September 2013

The sudden onset of Autumn

We've spent the first summer here in our new house and although we knew we were enjoying it at the time, this morning, we realised again just how lovely it was to have a garden with a little pool and a nice cool house to escape the fierce Andalucian sun. Today, for the third day in a row, we have woken up to fog and low clouds creeping over the surrounding hilltops and in addition to the general dampness this creates, this morning we have had quite a heavy rainfall. The children have gone off to school in sensible footwear and raincoats - though Mateo chose to take an umbrella rather than a coat. I suspect we might not see that one again unless it's still raining at 3pm...it's hereditary, I always leave umbrellas around.

I don't mind too much - as Janice said before she arrived, she wasn't coming for the weather, she was coming to see me. However, my mum arrives tomorrow evening and I really want it to be pleasant weather for her. I know it's been a lovely summer in England this year and that she too is coming to see me and the children first and foremost, but really - she should be able to expect a little (heart) warming sunshine too. Last night, we lit our wood-burning stove, we'd been so damp and chilly all day. (Later on, we wished we hadn't as it did get a tad too hot!)

I am so hoping that these clouds will drop what they have to and then move on. I am so looking forward to Mum's visit - her second this year - and this time, as I'm not teaching in the afternoons, we will have the opportunity to perhaps visit Cordoba or one or two other lovely places a little further afield. That is, if I can prise her out of the garden!

And as the weather has turned chilly, my thoughts are turning to chocolate. I don't mind the cooler weather and shorter days at all really - it is 'making' time! I have an order currently making its way back from the UK. There are a couple of people around here who make their living by tripping backwards and forwards to the UK taking and collecting things for people, so as it works out cheaper and easier than any other option, I shall have all my usual stock here within the week! 

It really doesn't seem a moment since we were fending off the strong Andalucian sunshine and taking full advantage of the splash pool and enjoying long, long days....and I was eagerly counting the weeks, then the days until Janice arrived. And whoosh!! All good fun whilst it lasted but suddenly, she's been and gone. Gosh, is all I can say!! Thank goodness for blogging as it will be such fun to piece it all together again and see it from the outside too - making something tangible from our shared memories of the few days we had together. I am looking forward to that.

And now, I'm looking forward to tomorrow evening and hoping time doesn't rush by quite so quickly, though she's staying a bit longer that Janice and Mark did. Plus, I have a little surprise for her at the end of her time here - but hush, don't say a word just yet!

What's the weather like in your neck of the woods. Are you all mellow fruitfulness, or just damp and chilly - or are you gearing up to summer and sunshine?

(Fingers crossed my camera will be fixed very soon! Can't bear not being able to share photos!)

Have a misty old olive tree taken from Wikipedia for now...getting ready for harvest by the looks of it.





14 comments:

  1. Misty, damp and very grey here too today, after a pleasantly mild and fitfully bright weekend, which let us get out for some relaxing strolls. Sorry you didn't have better weather for Janice and Mark's visit, but I'm certain you didn't let it spoil your fun. :-) Looking forward to hearing all about it. I'm crossing everything that the weather improves for your mum's visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perpetua - we are sharing the weather I think, which is most unusual. It was better whilst Janice and Mark were here and it certainly didn't spoil our time together at all. I am sure it will brighten up a little (can't actually get much worse - it's almost dark and not yet 7pm!) before she wakes up on Wednesday morning.

      I'm looking forward to seeing the photos - haven't seen them yet! Axxx

      Delete
  2. The last two weeks of September have felt more like October and the forecast for this week is for cloud and rain. I'm hoping it perks up next week when my mum is arriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really only been this weekend that it's felt like October. Strange it turns so quickly in Turkey too...but like here, it could be really hot again next week. Hope you and your mum have a good time together too. Axxx

      Delete
  3. So happy to read that that you and Janice had a fabulous time together, here's hoping you have just as much fun with your Mum and more sunshine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't heard the half of it yet, Annie. I don't know how Janice felt exactly but to me it was a time both surreal and yet utterly natural - us being together. It just went far too quickly though the chance to blog about it will definitely keep it clear in our minds for a while longer - which is great.
      Looking forward to seeing my mum.
      Axxx

      Delete
  4. I hope the sun comes out for your mother....I wonder what it is about mothers....you plan to take them to places they haven't seen and they aren't too bothered as they've just come to see you!

    Still in the clouds here....but blinding sunshine and heat in San Jose this morning as I tramped round trying to find en elusive government office....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen - it's going to have to change radically for there to be some sunshine, but at least here, that's quite possible!
      I'm taking her to Cordoba whether she wants to go or not...
      Oh dear, are you still hunting down those government offices....? And in the heat? Do take care.

      Axxx

      Delete
  5. So glad you had a lovely time & will look forward to photos & stories. Good weather in Yorkshire but with a chill in the air now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nilly - yes, we had a great time and I'm sure there'll be plenty to show very soon.

      I'm getting good reports of lovely blue skies from the north of England but, as you say, with that nip in the air. It's nipping a bit here too!

      Axxx

      Delete
  6. Well, here you are, I've just gone and you have hardly had a minute to turn around and your mum will be with you. It was a bit surreal wasn't it ? Too short, and with me having to bail out on one of our potential evenings together, even shorter. However, I enjoyed every minute with you, in Alcala, at la Mota, at casa Rosales and with your truly fascinating family. The weather was completely irrelevant.....a mere background to seeing you. Lots of love Jxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I keep repeating myself, but I think we'll get a lot of retrospective pleasure in putting together a post about it, don't you? For me, it was a wonderful from the moment you arrived; I really enjoyed the evening watching La Mota change in the sunset - it's special to see the place I love through other eyes too. As for my fascinating family...well, it was lovely to share a tea party with you and my two youngest - they were comical! Off in an hour to fetch Mum from Malaga - must try and fit some blogging time in amongst! Much love, Axxx

      Delete
  7. Here's hoping you mum has arrived, safe and sound, and that the weather is cooperating there, Annie. Here, we've had some pretty warm days, and cool nights; the perfect conditions for good fall color, which we are starting to see with the trees turning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Penny - yes, thanks, Mum safely here and looking pretty good for her years too. Yesterday afternoon, the weather changed and was beautiful - nice and clear after a week of haze and fog and rain and the drive to the airport was spectacular. Just now, first thing, it's too foggy to comment on any colours but Andalucia doesn't really 'do' fall. So many of the trees keep their leaves - we don't get that wonderful display you are waiting for but I'm off to the UK in a week, so will get a glimpse there, I hope. Axxx

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!