Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Sunday 1 September 2013

On being inspired

In recent weeks, Romy and I have been enjoying a little post-prandial crafting at our big glass table in the kitchen - and I've shared some of our attempts at making in earlier posts.

We've been going at Romy's pace and she's really enjoyed the process. We keep buying a few more 'bits' when we pop into town. And today we went shopping again and this time, called in to 'A LITTLE bit of BRITAIN' - a shop in Alcala la Real that started off, as its name suggests, as a place where the expats in the area could buy their Tetley teabags, Bird's Custard Powder and various other necessities that some folk just can't live without. It's owned and run by the wonderful Alan - invariably friendly, helpful and good-natured - and he had the great idea of opening up some additional space for people to put their second-hand goods for sale. The Spanish haven't ever really grasped the idea of 'second-hand' and on their version of ebay, the prices people want are ridiculous and unrealistic. A lot of expats move out here and find they have all the 'wrong' stuff for their new homes. A lot of expats move back to the UK and decide not to take all their stuff back with them. Alan's shop works a treat and now, the local Spanish folk are recognising what a brilliant idea it is!

I digress, I believe. Ah no, I know why it was important to mention Alan's shop. It's because once a month, he moves all the secondhand furniture to the farther reaches and holds a Saturday market - renting out a 'stall' to anyone who has anything to sell. Some months, it's really good, with clothes, plants, food, (occasionally a chocolate stall!) and jewellery, as well as bric-a-brac and other second-hand items. I usually try and get there on a craft market day. There are sometimes people there who sell cards too. And in the shop, Alan always has a wide selection though some of them are not very inspiring and I asked if he'd be willing to sell some of ours in his shop - and, being Alan, he said yes! And now I get back to my thread...today we took our wares in to the shop. I asked what sort of cards were most in demand and unfortunately, he said it was 'Sympathy' cards...

So, when we came home, Romy agreed that I should make some sympathy cards - the idea didn't really inspire her. The night before, I had been looking at some new ideas on the internet and spent 17 minutes of my life watching a video on Youtube. It's not possible for me to embed the video for you to have a look, but here is the link. I was so inspired by this piece that this afternoon, I sat down and made a 'With Sympathy' card that I'm rather pleased with.



The card was a nice cream colour, on which I painted a watercolour background in teal and pale yellow. Then I made a flower stamp out of foam, and, using a pencil, made some imprint 'dot's. We had some teal ink by pure chance so I stamped the flowers randomly and lightly onto the background.

Then I ran a fine strip of ribbon down one side - which, with retrospect, I shouldn't have done...

The heart was cut from a loose page out of my Oxford Dictionary of English in Current Usage and I put it on a piece of foam before sticking it on to make it stand out a little. Then I pencilled around the edged and then blurred them a little.

I had bought the leaf skeletons from the UK and put one onto the other corner to provide a little balance.
Then with a silver pen, I added some squares - though these don't show up too well on the photo.

I wrote 'with sympathy' across both sides of the card, which has a centre opening.

It was a deeply satisfying card to make and the photo doesn't really do it justice. I feel as though I have really learned something...






My second attempt was slightly different and I didn't do a watercolour background, but made another foam stamp - this time using a heart shape.


Using the teal ink, I covered the whole of the card but made the shading random.

I added a few of the flower stamps using the only other coloured ink I have - which is red. I wasn't sure how this would look but decided to use a pinky-red piece of embossed paper on top. This I cut out with some scissors Romy and I bought today in town - cost all of 64c! Again, using a pencil, I went round the edges and smudged the colour to darken the frame of the centre card.

Another leaf skeleton and a strip of cream card to write 'so sorry' on.








I do hope these cards don't fly off Alan's shelves soon but I also hope that they perhaps convey a little more personal touch than some of the cards that are available at the moment.

And I couldn't stop there. So I made one more card this afternoon. It's an 'I Love You' card and says

You are ....   always on my mind and in my heart. 

Again, the inspiration is from the beautiful Art Journal that Rach0113 created and shared. Thank you Rach0113! You are amazing!!



I can't tell you the pleasure I have had in making these three cards today. I'm alight with ideas and plans for more and more cards...

How I wish the good folk of Alcala were full of a burning desire to send cards to each other. I must start making some in Spanish too...Maybe it'll catch on one day - they do seem to be getting the hang of second hand goods!

(Forgive my indulgence. You don't need to comment on this post - but I really needed to write it!!)


18 comments:

  1. How wonderful to read this post.Your enthusiasm is infectious.I never thought i would be sitting at a large table cutting and sticking whenever i can in my retirement!The Red Squirrel photos i take go on cards and all monies raised go for supplementary feeding of the red squirrel colony at our timeshare in the Lakes.The seabird photo cards i make go to a guy in Bempton village who opens his garden for the Yellow Book charities---so the monies raised there go to cancer research.

    Just wish i could come and buy your cards---they truly look as if they are made from the heart. x Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think of you at your crafting table too, Maria - turning those gorgeous photos into cards to feed the red squirrel colony and the support you give to charities. I don't think I shall make any money from these but if I do, it will, no doubt, go to feeding the colony of children I seem to have in my house these days!

      It's so kind of you to say you would like to buy them - if people like them, I shall keep making them. Axxx

      Delete
  2. They are Gorgeous !!!!! wow what a pleasure to read this post and see the fruits of your labour of love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that you, Christine!! Great to hear from you. Love the logo and the work you and Linda are doing with your 'Laughter in Mind' yoga! What a difference a couple of years has made to our lives, eh?
      Thank you for your kind words - I keep an eye on all you are doing too.
      Axxx

      Delete
  3. I think they're gorgeous, Annie, so much more personal that the ubiquitous pale-grey-and-lilac commercial sympathy cards. You've obviously got the bit between your teeth. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Perpetua. I am possibly going to drive FR to distraction before too long, so firmly is the bit between my teeth...I'm not really aware of lots of other things going on around me. (Those less interesting things - you know what I mean!)
      I have always loved cards but they have to be 'right'. I once bought the wrong 'Mother's Day' card - and preferred not to send it than give it. I did explain to my mum! We always make cards in our family but I would like to try and make them look a bit less 'homemade' and more 'handmade'.
      Axxx

      Delete
  4. I think your cards are lovely, very inspiring post. I do agree with you the cards here are just not we are used to, very drab or extremely expensive. Also great Romy enjoys crafting too, so nice to do it together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chrissie.
      I know I'm just indulging a desire to make things, especially whilst it's too hot for chocolate making, but I have always liked to send and receive cards. Many of my friends make their own - some in very talented ways - and me too, so, it's been a nice activity to improve on over the summer months. I am delighted that Romy has enjoyed it so much too. I don't think it will catch on in Spain just yet, but a friend in Turkey said it had started to gain in popularity there....you never know!
      Axxx

      Delete
  5. Why stick at Alcala...put them on the expat links...you must have an Angloinfo in your area.
    We're not card people at all...but I know a good thing when I see it.

    Furniture is going to be a problem for me...so I'll have to look around for an Alan in the Castellon area...or bring a van from Belgium with all the good, cheap items I saw when I was there this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen - might give your idea a try...
      Wherever there are expats, you stand a chance of finding an Alan - obviously, not quite as lovely as our own, but someone who feels it's worthwhile to offer a place to swap, sell and generally recycle things we don't want anymore. I do miss the good, cheap items that were to be found on ebay in the UK. Spanish ebay is absolutely rubbish!
      Axxx

      Delete
  6. Great cards and with it something you enjoy doing and get a lot of satisfaction from. It's a win,win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gaynor! I do like win-win, don't you? I'm still giggling at the thought of you and your fellow collaborators, wandering the backstreets of a little village in France...cameras at the ready!! And most grateful! Axxx

      Delete
  7. These are gorgeous Annie. How strange that its the sympathy cards that Alan said would be the most sought after. They are lovely though, and I am sure they will be popular. I seem to remember you having trouble filling all your chocolate orders because there were not enough hours in the day......need I say more ? You have also been pretty prolific with blogging recently....I haven't posted anything for ages....more about that later. Anyway, keep up the good work, and keep enjoying it. Jxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice - I guess that there are a lot of retired expats around here...

      I am not doing as much teaching this year, remember - hours aplenty to fill with making chocolates and cards. The mojo is back at the moment - went off a bit in the heat of July but with the pool installed - I have energy in spades!

      And now you've posted that all important 100th post! Well done you. Let's both keep up the good work.
      Axxx

      Delete
  8. Super cards , I hope they are a great hit ... my favourite is the last one :-) colours and the little hearts.

    I read with amazement every time , the things that expats miss ,, amuses me. I can understand Teabags as even my cousin who is not British loves them and she lives in Italy and cannot buy them only online I think :-)

    I just read one of your replies to Perpetua .. my husband (then boyfriend) once bought me "the wrong card" and I told him so, maybe not the right thing to do, but I got the "right" one the next day LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. Yes, you'd be surprised what Alan needs to stock in his shop! Personally, the only think I need is double cream from time to time. There is no suitable alternative in Spain..and he only stocks the Elmlee version due to transport problems with the real thing. I also only like Lady Grey tea....I ask family to bring that when they come.

      There is the 'wrong' card, isn't there!
      Axxx

      Delete
  9. Well it's a good job you packed in the teaching isn't it. I can see you are gong to spend every minute of the day making these cards when the word gets out. I even foresee a web site and being able to order on line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - not much time for sensible work options...ones where they pay you...Sigh! Cards and chocolates are not going to make my fortunes but it keeps me quiet for the time being. I couldn't even afford an online shop as postage to anywhere from Spain is outrageously expensive! (And there are far too many really talented people to even being to contemplate competing...) But thank you for your most optimistic view of the future!
      Axxx

      Delete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!