Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Sunday 4 August 2013

Fiesta Medieval at La Mota

Yes, I prefer Mediaeval...but I was using the Spanish spelling...just in case it bothered you.

Every August, for the past few years, the beautiful castle of La Mota in Alcala la Real has been the setting for a Mediaeval fair. And every year we've lived here, we've missed it because we have always been visiting family in Valladolid or Leon at this time of the year.

This year, family came to us and we're staying put in our lovely new house for the summer (and Christmas and probably forever and ever) but it means we could visit the fair.

It is possibly the most perfect place to hold something evocative and historic - especially at night - and I was looking forward to going. I hadn't had time to prepare any costumes, but as I was in town in the morning, I found a shop selling 'Mediaeval' costumes that would be fine for Romy. Remember - at this time, the Arab influence was strong....that must the be reason for the less the usual Mediaeval appearance of the outfit! (You'll see what I mean...except now you won't because I have just discovered my disaster! You'll see what I mean.)

It didn't start until 9pm, which was a blessing because we've had some ridiculously hot days recently - it had reached forty degrees on Thursday - and we needed the temperature to fall a bit before we attempted the steep climb up to La Mota. The streets of Alcala were busier than usual and we were very lucky to find a decent parking space...very lucky!

I had to smile to myself when - as usual - someone stopped me to ask for directions. This ALWAYS happens ...and I have to wonder why as I do not look for one second as though I am Spanish, never mind from Andalucia! However, a lady stopped and asked, '¿Está Usted de aquí?' - meaning 'are you from here?' (I know, I didn't need to include the speech but I just wanted to use those upside down question marks) ...and I was delighted to reply that I was! Ha!! Amused me, though the children didn't quite understand why...

Pause and panic.....just tried to upload my photos...

and now I am rather traumatised as I have managed inexplicably to delete all my photos....apart from a video of one of the spectacles.The other photos I have taken from the web and where possible, have included the appropriate credits - they are nowhere near as good as mine were.
I am trying not to weep.

fiestamedieval1.jpg
Thanks to Marino Aguilera

Thanks to the Ayuntamiento de Alcala la Real

Una fiesta medieval conmemorará el 666 aniversario de la Toma de Alcalá
As above
My photos were SO much better - full of atmosphere - can't believe what I've done! I shall have to ponder....in the meantime, enjoy a little bit of Vertical Dancing down the tower wall. Oh well - will have to go again NEXT year.




(Silent sob...)

18 comments:

  1. Oh how frustrating and sad - I do hope you manage to retrieve them, Annie. It's maddening when glitches like that happen - and I never know what to do to remedy them, and have to yell for help! The pictures you downloaded look as if the fiesta is really colourful and fascinating - I'd love to experience one (although the temperatures you're having at the moment would be a real turn-off, as I can't stand heat like that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helva, I'm trying really hard not to be distraught because there's nothing I can do ....but distraught I am, deep down. I thought I'd done things in the right order but obviously not.
      The fiesta was super-colourful and my pictures were lovely and much better than the ones I've found - there is a lovely breeze up at La Mota too - at over 1000m above sea level, it's not a heat that one can't bear. There are a lot of steps to climb too but they weren't too much for the crowds of people that showed up!
      Axxx

      Delete
  2. Annie i wish i could magic your photos back for you.I know a little of how you feel as 2 weeks ago my screen flashed white and the whole of my iPhoto albums disappeared.On ringing the Apple Store in Meadowhall they booked me into the Genius Bar that same day.A guy who i would say was a genius restored them all for me.In relief
    i went straight for coffee and a cake---nearly dropping my laptop bag on the floor as its strap got caught on a chair!

    The pictures you downloaded were colourful and gave a good record of the fiesta. x Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were lucky, Maria! Thank goodness for that. I obviously did something wrong in transferring my photos from my camera. I thought I'd done it right and had a lot of duplicates...so deleted them from my camera. And then they weren't on my computer....

      I shall just have to go again next year as these photos are just not good enough.

      Axxx

      Delete
  3. Disaster..... I would be weeping too. However, it looks great from what you have been able to show us, and it is so good that you were able to be there this year...and next yearn and the year after and the year after etc etc. The man in the photo with shelves of interesting potions looks interesting himself...I'm sure you would have captured a much better image though.
    Take care in those 40 degrees days Annie, that sounds so hard ! I seem to have acclimatized to the regular 34s here.....but 40, aggghhhh. Lots of love Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great shame - I had a lovely one of Romy in her costume with the big church at La Mota as a backdrop...it was very beautifully lit. We'll go next year.
      Man in photo wasn't there this time...I would have remembered! He looks a little like Dani Mateo who is one of the presenters of a satirical, political show here. Handsome chappie and very funny.

      We stay well inside when it's so very hot, Janice...I feel NO obligation to go out and enjoy the sunshine - that 'English' urge has been well and truly subdued! And as I've said many times - it's a manageable, dry heat. The coast is 97% humidity today and people there can't breath. That's what I hate.

      Watching September approaching! So looking forward to seeing you.
      Axxx

      Delete
  4. I did try to comment before but I think that the three Euro internet thingy ate it.

    I'm sorry that your own photographs went missing...so infuriating when you know how much better they were, but those you put up gave a good idea of the event all the same.
    And what a good excuse to go next year.

    I'm keeping siesta hours too...it's so hot after Costa Rica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Helen - I'm so glad you tried again! Thank you!
      I'm coming to terms with my lost photos...I feel very silly but still don't know how it happened. And yes, will just have to go again...it's not all bad.

      I've been reading just now - during siesta time - a book set in the Belgian Congo. It's definitely better here! I always imagined it would be hotter in Costa Rica but I guess it's not the height of summer there just now, is it?

      Axxx
      Axxx

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, I know just how you feel! My ailing computer quietly died for ever last week after a power cut.I managed to keep calm and learn all about new things like external hard drives on which I could rescue my many Giga Bytes of photos. Now I'm using a new piece of kit (good eh?) with no tower and a huge touch screen. And the moment I trust nothing, least of all my own ability to control it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you. Nilly - it's hard learning how new stuff works sometimes. My photos were my fault I fear, though not helped by a confusing 'No to all, no to current. yes to all, yes to current' sort of question that I obviously answered incorrectly...

      Hope your new computer is friendly.
      Axxx

      Delete
  6. How infuriating..losing your photos. I'm no good at photography but I have lost some of my attempts on occasion, and feel sad that I can't recapture a moment. Sounds like you had a good time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ayak - frustration and irritation at myself apart, we had a lovely time. I can 'see' my photos still but do hate not being able to share.
      On a serious note - things not taking a turn for the better in Turkey, are they? Awful. Thinking of you all. Can you believe it, this morning, there was a programme on Radio 4 more or less extolling the virtues of what has been achieved in Turkey and how it could act as a model for Egypt. Agreed, I didn't hear it to the end so don't know what the final conclusions were but it seemed like rather bad timing...
      Axxx

      Delete
    2. Yes Annie, it's not a good time for people here. We have lost our democracy and this man is a dictator. (Notice I don't mention his name...there's always a fear that it may be picked up on the internet). I'm afraid the truth is being hidden from the rest of the world. If it wasn't for social media, we also would not know what was happening. Having said that,several users of Twitter have been arrested. Apparently also yesterday some well known celebrities were arrested for drug use...who by coincidence were people who showed support for the recent demonstrations...so make of that what you will...I have!

      Delete
    3. Keep us informed any way you can without risk, Ayak. Thinking of you. Axxx

      Delete
  7. Oh Annie, I do sympathise, having done things like that myself at times. As everyone has said, you'll HAVE to go again next year to show us what we missed this year. Nonetheless your description and video and the photos you managed to find so give a real flavour of what must be a hugely enjoyable event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awful...I do feel so silly. Yes, I think I will definitely go again next year - Alcala doesn't always promote itself as well as it could and I do feel I should do my share! Ruy wasn't so impressed - not one mediaeval sword stand....not a serious implement of any type on offer...Can't please everyone! Axxx

      Delete
  8. A few years ago I managed to delete all my photos of a family holiday. I was devastated. My husband got onto to Google and managed to find free software online that would retrieve the "deleted" photos from the sim card. PHew! Unfortunately, the software was on an old laptop and has since been deleted. If you search through the internet you may find something similar. Good to have in case it happens again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually publish Anonymous comments as they usually contain links to very dubious sites, but your comment seems absolutely fine. Just wish I knew who you were....but thanks for commenting. I think my problem happened at the camera end - I've consoled myself with the knowledge that we can go again next year!
      Axxx

      Delete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!