Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Monday 20 December 2010

Frozen north


Yes, we've been to northern Spain today - to a place just west of Leon. I know you don't believe me when I say it's cold here - and I know it's really bad in the UK at the moment - but I'm not trying to compete, just to say, when I say it's cold here, I really do mean it! There has been no snow this week but the temperatures are well below zero and all the way from Valladolid, the scenery was white, icy and frozen. I kept thinking of Wordsworth and 'The Prelude' which I studies at 'A' Level, several passages of which have stuck firm in my memory; there is a lovely section when he goes skating with friends:
                    
          And in the frosty season, when the sun
          Was set, and visible for many a mile
          The cottage windows blazed through twilight gloom,
          I heeded not their summons: happy time
          It was indeed for all of us--for me
          It was a time of rapture! Clear and loud 
          The village clock tolled six,--I wheeled about,
          Proud and exulting like an untired horse
          That cares not for his home. All shod with steel,
          We hissed along the polished ice in games
          Confederate, imitative of the chase
          And woodland pleasures,--the resounding horn,
          The pack loud chiming, and the hunted hare.
          So through the darkness and the cold we flew,
          And not a voice was idle; with the din
          Smitten, the precipices rang aloud; 
          The leafless trees and every icy crag
          Tinkled like iron;

I love the alliteration of  'all shod with steel, we hissed along the polished ice..'  and the last two lines have always been favourites - and they come to my mind whenever I see a frozen landscape - and so it was today. Everything was tinkling like iron today.



Yes, this really is Spain!



We were going to Leon to haul out those boxes that we think we will need - or want - once we move down to Alcala la Real. Not necessarily to take with us the first day or so, but to pile up a bit of our 'home' so that Cesar can come back and get it once we've got ourselves settled. It's surprising what we have missed and what we haven't! I positively hugged my ironing board.... and Ruy was delighted that we found his wind-up bat torch.
Finding anything was a bit of a challenge:

Sofas and wardrobe?

More sofas

Looks like mainly chairs..

Upstairs in the barn..alsorts of things

Chairs and mattresses..

A few of the 100+ boxes

Definitely some pictures here

Some more boxes and more chairs!
But soon we'll be able to take it all out of the barn and put it in its new place, our new home..soon..well, hopefully in 2011.
For now, it's just sort of nice to see it again!

2 comments:

  1. You are such a brave girl - so near Christmas and all those boxes. The challenge is to open and sort them in 2011 (not like me who still has boxes of books which I have never opened since moving 12 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautifully breathtaking! I love the crisp whiteness of it all. It reminds me of one of the poems from one of my fav poets, Robert Frost --------Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening
    Whose woods these are I think I know.
    His house is in the village though;
    He will not see me stopping here
    To watch his woods fill up with snow.

    My little horse must think it queer
    To stop without a farmhouse near
    Between the woods and frozen lake
    The darkest evening of the year.

    He gives his harness bells a shake
    To ask if there is some mistake.
    The only other sound's the sweep
    Of easy wind and downy flake.

    The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!