Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Saturday 9 July 2011

My teenage boy

Mateo is 13 today. Not old - not by a long way - but growing up.



Four hours and thirteen years ago, following a difficult birth where Mateo was whisked off to the special care unit before I'd had time to touch him and I had to go into theatre (not the acting kind!) I was allowed to see my new baby - named Mateo Lawrence - for the first time. He was in an incubator, topped up with antibiotics to fight the Strep. B virus we'd picked up during our three days in hospital awaiting his arrival. His eyes were closed and he was lying facing me. I spoke to him for the first time in the real world - and his eyes flew open and he looked straight at me. He knew me.

And if it were three hundred years ago, it would still bring tears to my eyes! We have our moments, Mateo and I, but we still know each other when we look each other in the eye.

I wish him a very happy birthday. My unique, complex, deep and beautiful son.


Happy Birthday Mateo.

9 comments:

  1. How really touching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Annie. Those first precious moments when our children arrive are forever etched in our memories. Happy Birthday Mateo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. And when he turns 30 and not 13, you'll still remember his birth just as vividly and as tenderly, Annie. Lovely post and a very happy birthday to Mateo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops my comment evaporated!
    Happy Birthday!
    (this post made me teary... such love and devotion)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Mateo! Lovely post Annie. I remember the first moments with both of mine, although I acknowledge that it is different for mothers. Turning into a teen is a big thing, but a great thing too. Have a good weekend. Andy X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Annie:
    What a tender and touching account of the birth of your son. We are sure that you are now wondering where all the years have gone and how this baby has grown into a young man. Many happy returns, Mateo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww your blogs are always so very deeep but with a good touch of humor. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a lovely post. Happy Birthday from Turkey Mateo! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you - I've passed on the good wishes to Mateo, who wonders who the heck I'm talking about! We had a lovely day and are off to the zoo tomorrow to continue the celebrations.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!